Android Double DIN replacement.

1998 - 2005 All models.
RedLiner

Android Double DIN replacement.

Post by RedLiner » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:17 pm

I was getting fed up with the 'in-built' clunky Comand system 2.0 that was factory fitted to my 2005 ML W163.

I just bought a chinese manufactured Hizpo Android v9 7inch double DIN system that included a reverse camera for only £65 around $70 odd dollars.

I'm just blown away with the quality and the features that are included https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-9-0- ... SwiS9d3OoH

I have just temporarily wired it up and tested it and it's just great. It fits nicely into the existing W163 DDin opening and because of the small thickness , there is tons of space behind for wiring etc.

I wired up the reverse camera and it works perfectly when R is selected, I just have to find a suitable place to install the camera.

My Sygic Navi system integrates perfectly as does USB input for music and videos.
There are so many other options that because of the low purchase price I'll probably go for extras such as the tyre pressure monitor and the CAN diagnostic reader module, and if the price is right I'll by a 4G dongle.

I'm not sure about an IR steering wheel control unit just yet, they look as if they may get in the way???

When it's all definitely fitted I'll take some snaps and post up.
No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.

RedLiner

Re: Android Double DIN replacement.

Post by RedLiner » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:53 am

All now installed and working perfectly.
Not the World's easiest job but it gave me plenty to do and think about during this 'Lockdown' we have.

The D DIN head unit was very fiddly to fit in the original MB Comand space. I didn't use the mounting brackets that came with the unit but drilled four holes in the plastic Comand holder and bolted the new unit using M5 bolts into the threaded fixing holes of the new unit.
I had to remove the glove compartment to carefully drill through the dashboard to mount the small square GPS antenna, and route the cable in void under the dashboard. My prepaid Sygic Navi system works very well and accurately.
Before re-mounting the glove box I drilled a 20mm. hole to pass two USB sockets into the glove-box, one I've loaded with tons of music albums and movies and the other USB socket I'll use for the Dash-cam that I've just ordered.

Because the six CD autochanger could not be used, I used the three wires from the old Comand unit to link up to the reverse camera that I fitted into the rear bumper. The 12v power and the reverse signal I connected to the right hand rear light cluster. This saves ripping up carpets etc. to run wires.
I didn't want to surface mount the reverse camera where it would be sure to get damaged, I soldered up a copper containing box for the camera that could be embedded into the rear bumper with nothing sticking out. I used M4 torx screws to fix it that do make the eye drawn to it, I had considered epoxy glue but with the screws it can easily be removed if necessary.

I've attached photos of the finished project .The photo with the camera mounted shows silver undercoat, this now has the correct colour paint and lacquer applied so it blends in.
Attachments
GPSant.jpg
GPSant.jpg (120.3 KiB) Viewed 160 times
DDIN.jpg
DDIN.jpg (142.03 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Cam in bumper.jpg
Cam in bumper.jpg (441.54 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Rcambox.jpg
Rcambox.jpg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 160 times
No trees were harmed creating this message, however some electrons were very inconvenienced.

Return to “W163 M Class”